Is your electrical panel overloaded? An overload occurs when too much electricity is flowing through your panel, which can damage your wiring and pose a fire hazard. Here are some signs to watch out for that indicate your panel may be overloaded.
Frequent Power Outages
If you’re dealing with frequent power outages in your home or business, there is a chance that your electrical panel may be overloaded. An overloaded electrical panel can lead to unexpected power interruptions and drops in voltage, making it difficult to run appliances and electronics properly. Fortunately, recognizing the signs of an overloaded electrical panel is not too difficult. By being aware of changes in performance, smells of burning plastic, and other indications of an overload, you can take steps to address the issue before it causes major issues. Consider reaching out to an electrician for help if you suspect an overload on your electrical panel
Flickering Or Dimming Lights
Flickering or dimming lights constantly can be a sign that your electrical panel is overloaded. This phenomenon occurs because the power is not being distributed evenly and efficiently, like it should be. Overloading your electrical box is dangerous, as it can lead to shocks, fires, and other accidents. If you experience flickering or dimming lights in your home, take this as an indicator that it could be time for an upgrade to your system’s circuitry to accommodate new appliances or updated lighting systems.
Circuit Breakers That Trip Frequently
Are your circuit breakers tripping frequently, leaving you annoyed and without electricity? If so, it’s likely that your electrical panel is overloaded. An overloaded electrical panel can lead to a significant increase in the risk of an electrical fire, as the excessive load prevents your wiring from properly dissipating heat. To ensure that you’re not at risk, it’s important to check for the signs of an overloaded panel and take action to reduce the hazard.
Hot Spots On The Electrical Panel
Have you noticed any oddly hot spots on your electrical panel? If so, it could mean that your electrical panel is overloaded. A warm or hot electrical panel indicates that too much power is passing through the system. This can cause serious safety problems and may indicate the need for professional help. Prolonged overloads can causes circuits to trip or even start a fire, so if you notice any suspicious hot spots around your electrical panel, have it checked immediately by an experienced electrician.